Monday, July 4, 2011

[Image]The Bane Theory




((So, this picture requires some explanation.  My friend Jessie, who is a very talented artist, does a sort of cartoony, Disney-style art that I absolutely love.  We met through Warcraft about two years ago, thanks to a theory we affectionately nicknamed "The Bane Magnet."  How it works is this:  Blood Elf names in Warcraft, generally speaking, have a noun-adjective combination, typically suited to the character by their creator.  Sometimes there's a story behind it, and other naming conventions are used.

So, some two years ago, we were staring at eachothers' roleplay addons from across the Bazaar in Silvermoon City, and, upon realizing we had eachother targeted, her character, Eriene Duskbane, proceeded to demand of mine (whose name is Xynrael Frostbane), "Is there something I can DO for you, Death Knight?"  As most people shouldn't have at the time, considering the game's story to date, she didn't particularly ENJOY the company of Death Knights, or anything else Undead.  The reason for this initiation of RP?

Rather than make an ass of himself like most Death Knights tend to, Xynrael proceeded to be fairly polite and cordial, with just a hint of sarcasm.  Eriene took this as an opportunity to verbally beat him with a brick stick.  After the RP took place, Jessie sent me a private message out-of-character, rather hurriedly explaining that "I'M REALLY NOT THIS MEAN OUT OF CHARACTER I PROMISE."  Rather than pursue that, I laughed it off and asked what made her decide to initiate RP with me.  After a moment of silence, she gave the literary equivalent of a shrug and replied "IDK.  Her name is Duskbane.  His is Frostbane.  I just had to."

Thus began one of the most interesting friendships I've ever had with anyone, and a VERY strange one for our characters.  Some of the details are revealed here in my blog some we keep to ourselves.  However, for my birthday, Jessie drew me a picture that very well exemplifies their attitudes towards eachother- a hesitant closeness with a lot of glaring.

Easily one of the best birthday gifts I've ever gotten.  I hope you all enjoy this image as much as I do.))

1 comment:

  1. :O Damn, Eriene does such pretty art. I'm going to have to get the balls to ask if she'll take my money and do Jaen or Illy. I love the corner of the eye glare Eriene is giving Xyn.

    ReplyDelete